Switch up your taco game with a unique vegetarian recipe with an unexpected main ingredient: sweet potato! You’ll be blown away by how they mimic the texture of refried beans, while enjoying the combination of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors all packed into one little taco.
Makes about 30 tacos
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can low sodium black beans
- 1/2 tbsp red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 20-30 corn flour tortillas
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- chunky cherry tomato salsa (previous recipe)
- fresh cilantro
- hot sauce (I used Cholula) (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
- shredded Mexican cheese (vegan cheese can be used) (optional)
1. Peel and cut sweet potato into 1 inch slices. Steam sweet potato in a large pot until nice and tender.
2. Add cooked sweet potato to a large pot and mash with a fork, leaving the mixture slightly chunky. Add 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans over medium heat. Mix well.
3. Add chili powder, ground cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, minced onion, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Set aside.
4. Warm up corn tortillas on a small skillet over low heat for 10-15 seconds on each side. Top each taco with sweet potato and black bean mixture. Top with shredded lettuce, scallions, chunky salsa, slices of avocado, and fresh cilantro. You can also top with shredded cheese, a squeeze of lime or your favorite hot sauce!
Make it spicy! Spice it up more with pickled jalapeños!
Make it a taco fiesta! Set up a taco bar with lots of different toppings for a taco party!