These pancakes will change everything you thought you knew about having cereal for breakfast. Putting some purple corn power
into this classic Sunday
morning breakfast, these pancakes are high in protein and antioxidants, yet topped with delicious blueberry lemon compote, making them the ultimate breakfast treat!
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Organic Purple Cornflakes, blended into fine crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
Blueberry Lemon Compote:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
1. In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and milk. Set aside for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs and melted butter until well combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, ground purple corn flakes, salt and sugar.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. The more you mix it, the tougher the pancake will get, so you want to mix it as little as possible!
4. Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle on medium-low heat. Heat skillet on medium heat. Add 1/2 tbsp of butter. When butter foam subsides, add 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet. Spread the batter if necessary. Cook until bottom is brown and the edges of the pancake are set, about 2 minutes. Flip pancake, turn heat down to low, and cook until bottom is golden brown, about 1 minute. Cook rest of pancakes on low heat. Keep the rest of the pancakes warm in the oven at 150 F.
Blueberry Lemon Compote:
1. Add all ingredients into a small saucepan and stir well. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. The blueberries should release their juices and soften.
2. Spoon onto warm pancakes and serve while warm!
Switch up your breakfast (or snack) routine with healthy homemade cereal bars! Unlike the store-bought ones, these bars have no preservatives and are easy to make. You can use any seasonal fruit preserves for the filling, or go for our homemade Sweet & Savory Apricot Sage Jam!
- 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup Back to the Roots Biodynamic Cinnamon Clusters
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 half-pint jar of apricot sage jam
- turbinado sugar (optional)
Makes nine, 3-inch bars
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a blender, add oats, slivered almonds, flaxseed meal, cinnamon cereal and whole wheat flour. Pulse until smooth and blended (about 7-9 pulses).
3. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cardamom, nutmeg, salt, and coconut oil. Add the dry ingredients and baking powder to the wet ingredients and mix together. Using your hands, bring the dough together into a ball. Tip: If the dough is too crumbly, you might need to add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
4. Roll the dough out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Use your hands to patch up any holes and to shape into a 10 x 10 rectangle. Cut the dough into 3 long strips and spoon the jam into the middle. Fold the edges of the dough over the jam and pinch to seal. Cut each strip into 3 bars and flip seam side down, leaving 1 inch of space between each bar.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a rack. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.