Your go-to pizza just got a little more sophisticated — fresh sage and rosemary combine with cremini mushrooms for a perfectly sweet and savory finish. Makes a perfect party appetizer or light dinner entree.
Pro Tip: Add a drizzle of honey to accentuate the herb flavors and create a mouth-watering, gooey glaze.
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people
- 2 tbsp of olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 whole wheat lavash flatbreads
- 1 large onion, 1/2 inch slices and cut in half
- 1 pint cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 10-12 fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Red chili flakes, to taste
- Dried oregano, to taste
- Dried basil, to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
2. In a small bowl mix together minced garlic and 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add sliced onions. Stir and cook for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. Saute until the onions start turning brown and caramelizing, about 5-8 minutes. Spoon the mushrooms and onions into a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat the same pan used for the mushrooms and onions on medium-high heat. Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add sage leaves and stir to coat the leaves with oil. Cook for 30-40 seconds and remove. Place the sage leaves on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
4. Sprinkle each flatbread with all three cheeses. Add the mushrooms, onion, and fried sage leaves on top.
5. Bake flatbread for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with red chili flakes, dried oregano, and dried basil on top.
6. Serve while hot and enjoy!