Treat your tastebuds with umami flavor, which translates in Japanese to “pleasant savory taste.” This ramen is full of ingredients like miso and mushrooms to achieve major flavor, and the broth contains soy milk for richness. Customize with your favorite seasonal veggies – we recommend carrot, spinach, and bean sprouts!
- 2 cups ramen noodles, cooked
- 1 corn on the cob
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves. minced
- 2 tbsp sesame paste / tahini
- 1-2 tsp red chili flakes (to taste)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp red miso paste
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3-4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha sauce (to taste)
- 1 bok choy
- 1/2 cup oyster mushrooms
- 1 soft boiled egg (optional)
- nori sheets (optional)
- black sesame seeds (optional)
1. Cook noodles according to package and set aside. 2. Use a sharp knife to shave off the corn kernels off the cob. Save the cob for the stalk and set aside the corn kernels.
3. Heat olive oil and sesame oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sweat for 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add sesame paste/tahini and chili flakes and stir well. Cook for an additional minute.
4 Add corn cob, vegetable broth, soy sauce, miso paste, vinegar, dried shiitake mushrooms, soy milk and Sriracha to the pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
5. Taste broth and add additional soy sauce or Sriracha if needed. Remove corn
cob from the soup.
1. In a small frying pan add 3 tsp vegetable oil. Add corn and saute for 30 seconds. Add 3-4 tbsp of the broth to the pan and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the corn is lightly cooked. Set aside. Repeat with bok choy.
2. Add mushrooms to the same frying pan and saute on medium-low heat. Add 3 tbsp broth and cook until the liquid evaporates off. Set aside.
1. Add noodles to serving bowl. Pour broth on top. Top with veggies, shiitake mushrooms (from the broth), oyster mushrooms, soft boiled egg, nori sheets, black sesame seeds, additional chili flakes, or whatever else you like! Enjoy!
Craving spice? Add Sriracha or more chili flakes
Make it nuttier: Top with more sesame oil